Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday #1

I've been stalking all the folks who participate in WIP Wednesday for a while now and figured I'd finally post alongside them all today.  Partly 'cause works in progress is my middle name, and partly because my current project is giving me major ajiduh (spelling Katie?  I spelled it phonetically).  My sister uses this word often to describe a situation that is stressing her out.  And yes, this sweater is a bit stressful even though I am also loving the challenge it's giving me.

I'm working on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket and it is not easy!  I mean, it's not exactly hard, but boy do you have to pay attention!  Here's my progress so far:



I've started twice, and ripped out 1 and 1/2 rows so far.  Buuuuut, I think I might have the hang of it now.  While I love her conversational style, Ms Elizabeth is not super detail oriented in this one, so there are little things you just have to figure out on your own.  It's actually awesome in the sense that you get an idea of how she thinks about her pattern making.  And, I'm really happy with the corners I managed to create here.



I'm not sure where these corners will be on the finished project but they look pretty good so far!  I am also loving the yarn I am using!  While Oliver and Dave and I were in Maine and Canada a few weeks ago I got to go to a lovely yarn store in Belfast, Maine.  Heavenly Socks Yarns, is small but packed with great stuff and I found this lovely hemp blend yarn called Hempathy.  I love love love this rich red and can't wait to see it on the new baby!  I also love that it will be a lightweight layering sweater that won't be too bulky for those sweet new arms.

Oh, and for all you handmade soap lovers out there...Check out my first giveaway!  Just leave a little commentyomenty if you're not a follower already and you'll be entered to win 2 bars of your choice of my latest soaps!!  You can find it all here!

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous yarn colour (and I love the name of it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good! And welcome to the WIP Wednesday clan :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great pattern but as you say Ms E is not one detailed instructions. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried the baby surprise pattern, so it's good to know it's not as simple as I expected! Your corners are looking great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello *wave* Nice to see so many new people joining in this week! (It's taken me 3 sittings to read all the links!)

    Your jacket is a lovely colour - I'm sure it'll be worth all the concentration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *love* the color of that yarn! I actually took a course in how to make a Baby Surprise Jacket and I'm still confused. I'm quite sure yours will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to WIPW!! So glad you joined us. :) The baby surprise jacket looks great. I've heard the same thing as you've said about Ms Zimmerman. One day I'll have to give one of her patterns a try.

    ReplyDelete